*This story first appeared in The Budget’s June 20, 2018, Local Edition.
Guggisberg Cheese took top honors in the June 7 Ohio Swiss Cheese Association race for Grand Champion Cheesemaker.
For area cheesemakers, the art starts with time-honored traditions and recipes that include fresh-from-the-farm milk. “Quality cheese begins with quality milk,” explained Ursula Guggisberg-Bennett of Guggisberg Cheese. “In honor of National Dairy Month, we’d like to say thanks to our producers; without their fresh, Grade A milk, honors like this would not be possible.”
- First Place: Guggisberg Cheese
- Second Place: Bunker Hill Cheese
- Third Place: Pearl Valley Cheese
- Fourth Place: Broad Run Cheese
- First Place: Middlefield Original Cheese Co-op Mild Cheddar
- Second Place: Bunker Hill Cheese Raw Milk Cheddar
- Third Place: Pearl Valley Cheese Marble
Other cheeses entered, included: marble – Middlefield Original Cheese Co-op; raw milk gouda, Jersey fresh – Bunker Hill Cheese; Baby Swiss – Guggisberg; lacey baby, gouda, Colby – Pearl Valley. All cheese was judged Grade A by Dave Yaggi, cheese buyer, John Jorg, former cheesemaker, and Tom Mueller, former cheesemaker.
The contest was held in honor of National Dairy Month at Pearl Valley Cheese. The second contest will be held on July 17 as part of the Ohio State Fair. The third is held at the Ohio Swiss Festival in September.